COVID treatment with a vaccine of the last century, environmental degradation, anti-record in the USA and blood on the black market.
Correspondent.net collected the most relevant and important information on the spread of coronavirus infection for June 25, 2020.
News of Ukraine
– In Ukraine, 40,008 cases of COVID-19 were confirmed, of which 17,758 recovered, 1,067 died. At the same time, over the past day, 994 cases of COVID-19 were laboratory-confirmed, while 940 cases were reported the day before.
– The lack of financial savings in households and the ability to increase taxes are the reasons why the Ukrainian economy this year will lose 8.2 percent. This opinion was expressed by IMF Resident Representative in Ukraine Josta Lungman during an online conference of the European Business Association.
– Poland sent 134 tons of protective materials to Ukraine to counter the spread of coronavirus.
– Kiev and 12 more regions do not meet the criteria of the Ministry of Health to weaken quarantine measures. According to the government, Kiev, Kiev, Rivne, Volyn, Lviv, Ternopol, Ivano-Frankivsk, Transcarpathian, Chernivtsi, Odessa, Nikolaev, Lugansk and Donetsk regions do not meet the criteria. Moreover, the Transcarpathian region does not immediately meet three of the four criteria.
– Lviv region has become a leader in the incidence of coronavirus. In the region four consecutive days at least 200 sick.
“The government will return to strict quarantine in Ukraine if the incidence continues to increase,” said Prime Minister Denis Shmygal.
– Only a quarter of Ukrainians expressed their strong consent to be vaccinated with a free vaccine for coronavirus, if such is invented and available, according to a survey by Research & Branding Group.
– If you do not stop the increase in the number of cases of coronavirus COVID-19 in Ukraine, then the peak of the disease will occur right in the middle of summer. The main cause of the outbreak is non-compliance with quarantine. More than half of the beds have already been filled in some regions, and the number of patients is growing daily, said Vladimir Zelensky.
– Ukraine for 10 days passed the rate of active patients from 37 to 50 active patients per 100 thousand of the population, which significantly exceeds the indicator determined by the government for the countries of the “green” zone (40 per 100 thousand of the population).
– A group of residents of uncontrolled areas of the Donetsk region is located in the “gray zone” between the Ukrainian Novotroitskoye checkpoint and the separatists checkpoint Elenovka. 31 people cannot get into the territory controlled by the official authorities of Ukraine due to the lack of smartphones on which the Act at Home application is installed, necessary to control 14-day self-isolation.
– The government at a meeting on Thursday, June 25, decided to abolish self-isolation for those entering Ukraine, but subject to passing a PCR test for coronavirus. At the same time, residents of the region cannot return to the territory controlled by the separatists.
– The Ministry of Health has allowed the work of cinemas since the second of July, provided that the occupancy is not more than half of the capacity.
“The coronavirus pandemic continues and the number of new patients in the world is constantly growing,” says WHO Director Tedros Adan Gebreisus.
According to him, if in the first month of an outbreak of coronavirus, WHO recorded less than 10 thousand cases, then already in the last month there were almost 4 million such cases.
– In the USA, over 45.5 thousand new cases of coronavirus were detected per day, which is a record value.
– The growth rate of new cases of coronavirus has increased in Europe in the last two weeks, when quarantine measures were loosened everywhere, WHO notes. “Last week, Europe recorded for the first time in recent months an increase in the number of cases recorded in one week.”
– The summer session of the Parliamentary Assembly of the Council of Europe was canceled due to the situation with coronavirus.
– In Pakistan, the blood of ill COVID-19 is sold on the black market. Blood of such patients is sold from 950 to three and a half thousand pounds. Families of patients with COVID-19 are ready to pay this money: they believe that it is a “miracle cure” that can save their loved ones.
– In Canada, the military left for a mandatory two-week quarantine, who will soon come to Ukraine to participate in the UNIFIER training mission.
– The New York marathon was canceled due to a pandemic. The race is canceled only for the second time in history – the first time it was canceled in 2012 due to a hurricane.
– The best NBA dunker became infected with a coronavirus. Forward “Miami Heat” Derrick Jones received a positive result on coronavirus.
News of science and medicine
– The Committee of the European Medicines Agency (EMA) recommended that Veklury (remdesivir) be given conditional marketing approval for the treatment of coronavirus in adults and adolescents from 12 years old with pneumonia who require additional oxygen.
– The Ministry of Health approved new drugs for the treatment of patients with COVID-19, including dexamethasone.
– A group of Lithuanian and Iraqi scientists hypothesized that the combined measles, mumps and rubella vaccine (MMR) can protect against coronavirus. Their hypothesis is based on the consistent similarity of 30 amino acid residues between SARS-CoV-2, measles and rubella glycoproteins of the SARS-CoV-2 virus. Further experiments are needed to confirm the hypothesis.
– Scientists from the University of Birmingham offer to “muffle” the reproduction of dangerous bacteria and help the body with antibodies through specific predator viruses. Moreover, they write in the article, if bacteriophages are also genetically modernized, they can be used to quickly produce specific antibodies against SARS-CoV -2. This can be done using the phage display technique, for which the Nobel Prize was awarded a couple of years ago.
– In 1955, an American medical scientist of Jewish origin Albert Seybin introduced the oral polio vaccine (OPV). The vaccine may be useful for combating coronavirus, a group of scientists conducting research, is written in the journal Science.
– Chinese scientists said that antibodies to coronavirus in patients with illness can disappear after 2 months, reports ABC News. Researchers compared the immune responses of more than 70 people who recovered from COVID-19, and found that the human body produces varying degrees of protection against coronavirus. 40 percent of those who had asymptomatic disease and 13 percent of those who detected the virus lost their antibodies.
Economic and Business News
– The Ministry of Economy says that unemployment has not been growing in Ukraine for two weeks now. Since the beginning of quarantine, employment funds have employed more than 150 thousand unemployed, according to the Ministry of Economy.
– Dragon Capital Group of Companies has suspended a deal to acquire 100 percent of Idea Bank’s shares in Getin Holding S. A. (Poland), the company said.
– Amazon’s divisions recorded eight COVID-19 deaths, while not a single one from Chinese Alibaba and JD.
– The International Monetary Fund has worsened the forecast for a drop in Ukraine’s gross domestic product (GDP) in 2020 to 8.2 percent. The Fund explains this forecast with a weak stock of savings among the population and limited fiscal support for the economy. This was told by the IMF Resident Representative in Ukraine, Josta Lungman.
– Environmentalists in different countries report that a sharp increase in the delivery and production of protective equipment exacerbated the already existing problem of unprocessed plastic, writes the Economist magazine.
Dead and infected: map
News from Correspondent.net on Telegram. Subscribe to our channel https://t.me/korrespondentnet